The History of Shakti Peeths : A brief Insight
Sati was the daughter of Prajapati Daksha. Disobeying her father’s wish Sati got married to Lord Shiva. Sati and Lord Shiva lived happily in Kailash. But Daksha was not to let down and was planning to dishonour Lord Shiva. Daksha planned a Yagna at Kankhal, now in Uttarakhand. Everyone(All other God and goddess) was invited except Lord Shiva. Sati when learned about the Yagna was very eager to visit her home and insisted Lord Shiva to accompany her. After lot of request Lord Shiva did not accompany here and Sati went alone to her father’s home. Everyone did not entertain Sati and started abusing Lord Shiva which was very difficult for Sati to tolerate. Extreme moment appeared when Daksha was insulting Lord Shiva in from of Sati. Unable to bear any more insult Sati dived in the fire and gave up her life. Hearing the news Lord Shiva was furious and form his anger came up 2 fiercefull warriors Virabhadra and Kalaratri, both of them destroyed all of the spot and the Yagna.
After destroying the Yagna…they started attacking all the gods and goddess who were present in the Yagna and Virabhadra beheaded Daksha as well.
After that Lord Shiva came and seeing all the demolishing he tried to make everything ok and Even King Daksha was brought back to life with the head of a goat. Various Mythological stories are there regarding the next part. It is believed that Shiva was unable to bear the grief of Sari he took Sati’s body in his Shoulder and was violent and the Universe shook with tremor due Lord Shiva started to carry’s Satis body around…till Lord Vishnu came to the rescue and he made 51 pieces of Sati’s body with his Chakra till Lord Shiva was brought to calm his grief, the body of Sati is mostly in the Asian sub-continent and mostly in India. The scattered body parts of Sati are the 51 Shakta Peeths where different parts fell.
There are 4 Adi Shakti Peeths according to to Shiva Puran, Kalika Puran and Devi Bhagvatam.
According to Wiki reference the following are more details of the 4 Peeths :
Bimala (Pada Khanda) (inside the Jagannath temple of Puri, Odisha), Tara Tarini (Sthana Khanda, Purnagiri, Breasts) (Near Berhampur, Odisha), Kamakhya Temple (Yoni khanda) (Near Guwahati, Assam) and Dakhina Kalika (Mukha khanda) (Kolkata, West Bengal) originated from the limbs of the Corpse of Mata Sati in the Satya Yuga.
Wherever there is a body part there is a temple build and we can see the following below.
Where ever there is the parts of body in the Shakti Peeth , Lord Shiva resides as Bhairav. Below is the details of the Shakti Peeth :
- Hinglaj: Brahmarandhra , part of the Head fell here…Worshipped Devi form as Kotari (Durga) and Shiva as Bhimlochan . The location is in a cave on the western part of Pakistan near Karachi.
- Shivaharkaray or Karavipur: 3 eyes of Durga fell here and the idols are Devi as Mahishmardini and Shiva as Krodhish. It is in Karachi in Pakistan.
- Jwalamukhi: Tongue of Devi fell here and Devi form worshipped here is Ambika , and Shiva as Unmatta. This is located near Jalandhar in Punjab.
- Sugandha: The Nose of Devi fell here and Devi is worshipped as Sunanada and Shiva as Traimbak… It is in Bangldesh near Barishal .
- Avanti: Devi upper lips fell here and worshipped here as Avanti and Shiva as Lambakarna It is located near Ujjain(Madhya Pradesh , India)
- Attahas : Devi lower lips fell here and worshipped as Fullara and Shiva as Vishesya(Bhairav). The place is in Bengal near Birbhum. ( West Bengal, India)
- Prabhas: Devi stomach fell here and here Devi worshipped as Chandrabhaga and Shiva as Vakratunda. Location (Gujrat , India)
- Yanasthana: Chin fell here and Devi worshipped as Bhramari, Lord Shiva resides as Vikrakatakkha . Devi here is also known as Its in Janasthaan, Naasik (Maharashtra)
- Sarvshail: Devi left cheek fell here and Devi is worshipped as Viswamatuka and Lord Shiva resides as Its in Andhra Pradesh(India).
- GandakiChandi : Devi right cheek fell here and Devi is worshipped as Gandakichandi and Lord Shiva as Chakrapani …Its near Pokhra ( Nepal)
- Suchiteertha: Devi’s upper teeth fell here worshipped Devi as Narayani and Shiva as Sanghar. Its in Tamil Nadu ( India)
- Panchasagar – Devi’s lower teeth fell here Devi resides as Barahi and Shiva as Maharudra. Its is located Champawat District of Uttarakhand (India).
- Bhavanipur : Devi’s left anklet fell here and Devi worshipped as Aparna and Shiva as Bhairabha. Its in Rajshahi division Bangladesh.
- Shri Parvat: Devi’s right anklet fell here Devi worshipped as ShriSundari and Shiva as Sundaranand. Its in Andhra Pradesh (India).
- Karnat: Sati’s two ears fell here and is worshipped Jaya Durga and Lord resides as Its located in Himachal Pradesh.
- Vrindavan: Sati’s hair fell here and Devi is worshipped as Uma (Devi) and Shiva as Bhutesh….Its located in Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh.
- Kireet: Devi Sati’s crown or headdress fell here and Devi is worshipped as Vimala and Shiva as Sanwart. Its in Murshidabad (West Bengal) India.
- Shrihatta: Devi’s neck fell here and Devi resides as Mahalaxmi and Shiva as Sambaranand. Its in Srihatta …Bangladesh (Syllet).
- Nalhati: Devi’s vocal pipe fell here and the Devi is Kalika (Durga) and Lord Shiva as Yogesh. Its in Birbhum district of West Bengal. (India)
- Amarnath : Devi’s throat fell here and Devi worshipped as Mahamaya and Lord Shiva as Trisandhyasvar. It’s a famous pilgrimage place in Kashmir, India.
- RatnaVali: Devi’s right shoulder fell here and Devi is worshipped as Kumari (Durga) and Shiva as Bhairabha . Its in West Bengal locally know as Anandamayee Temple.
- Mithila:Devi’s left shoulder fell here and Devi woeshipped as Mahadevi (Devi) and Shiva as Mahodar….Located near Janakpur station on the Border of India and Nepal.
- Chandranath temple Chattagram : Devi’s right arm fell here and Devi worshipped as Bhavani and Shiva as Chandrashekhar .Location is near Sitakunda station in Bangladesh.
- Manas : Devi’s right hand or palm fell her and Devi as Dakshayani and Lord Shiva as Amar. Its in Tibet at the foot of Manasorovar.
- Ujaani: Devi’s right wrist fell here and the idols are Devi worshipped as Mangalchandi and Shiva as Kapilambar. Its near Guskara in Burdwan district ….West Bengal.(India).
- Manibandh: Devi’s wrists fell here and the Devi as Gayatri and Shiva as Sarvananda . Its in Pushkar , Ajmer Rajasthan (India).
- Prayag: Devi’s ten fingers fell here and Devi worshipped as Lalita, and Lord Shiva as Bhava. Location is near Allahabad Uttra Pradesh ( India).
- Bahula: Devi’s left arm fell here and the Devi worshipped as Bahula and Lord Shiva as Bhiruk. Its in Ketugram, Katowa -Burwan (India).
- Jalandhar: Devi’s left breast fell here and Devi worshipped as Tripurmalini and Shiva as Bhisan . Its in Jalandhar (Punjab India).
- Ramgiri at Chitrakut: Devi’s right breast fell here and Devi worshipped as Shibani and Lord Shiva as Chanda. Its is Uttar Pradesh (India).
- Baidyanath: Devi’s heart fell here and Devi as Jayadurga and Shiva as Baidyanath. It is in Bihar…(India) Joshidi is the train station.
- Utkal: Devi’s navel fell here and the Devi worshipped as Bimala and Shiva as Jagannath . This is near the Jagannath temple of Puri in the state of Orissa.
- Kankalitala: Devi’s skeleton fell here and Devi as Devagarbha and Lord Shiva as Ruru. Its near Bolpur station to Kopai river banks West Bengal (India).
- Kalmadhav: Devi’s left buttock fell here and Devi here is Kali and Shiva as Asitang. Its in Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh (India).
- Shondesh: Devi’s right buttock fell here and Devi as Narmada and Shiva as Bhadrasen. Its in Madhya Pradesh.
- Kamakhya (or Kamroop): Devi’s yoni fell here and the Devi worshipped as Kamakhya and Shiva as Umananda. This is near Gauhati in the state of Assam on the banks of the Brahmaputra river. The temple is on top of the Nilachal Hill. (Assam…India)
- Nepal near Pashupatinath Temple: Devi’s two knees fell here Devi hear worshipped as Mahashira and Shiva as Kapali. Its in Nepal.
- Jayanti: Devi’s left thigh fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Jayanti and Shiva as Kramadiswar. This Shakti Peetha is locally known as the Nartiang Durga Temple. Its in Meghalaya.
- Tripura: Devi’s right leg fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Tripura Sundari and Shiva as Tripuresh. Its near Udaipur town in Agartala…(India).
- Khirgram: Devi’s great toe fell here Devi here is Yogadaya and Shiva as Khirakantha. Its in Burdwan West Bengal..(India).
- Kalighat (Kolkata): Devi’s four small toes from her right foot fell here and the Devi here is worshipped as Kali and Shiva as Its in Kolkata ..West Bengalo ( India).
- Kurukshetra: Devi’s ankle bone fell here and Devi here is Savitri/Bhadrakali Lord shiva resides here as Sthanu. Its in Haryana (India).
- Bakreswar: Devi’s portion between the eyebrows fell here and the Devi as Mahishmardini and Shiva as Vakranath. Its in Birbhum district ..West Bengal (India).
- Jessoreswari Devi’s Palms of hands and soles of the feet fell here and devi here is Jashoreswari and Shiva as Chanda .
- Nandipur: Devi’s necklace fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Nandini and Shiva as Nandikeshwar. Its in Sainthia …Birbhum district…West Bengal.
- Varanasi (Benaras): Devi’s earrings fell here and the idols are Devi as Vishalakshi/Manikarni and Shiva as Kalbhairav . Its in Uttar Pradesh (India)
- Kanyashram : Devi’s back fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Sarvani and Shiva as Nimish. IOts in Tamil Nadu ( India)
- Nainativu: Devi’s Nupur, Silambu or Anklet bells fell here and the idols are Devi as Indrakshi and Shiva as Rakshaseshwar. Its in Jaafna (Sri Lanka).
- Virat: Devi’s left toes of the feet fell here Devi here is as Ambika and Shiva as Amriteshwar.Its near Bharatpur, Rajasthan (India).
- Vibhash: Devi’s left ankle fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Bhimarupa and Shiva as Sarvanand. Its in Tamluk…Purba Medinipur ( West Bengal) India.
- Bhramari Devi: Devi’s left leg fell here and Devi here is worshipped as Bhramari and Shiva as Ambar. Its located on the banks of Teesta river in Shalbari village in Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal (India).